Sunday 18 July 2010

Jamie Goes To Ho Chi Minh City July 2010

I have posted all of my photos in a Facebook Album and I would love you to view them by clicking here: Jamie on Facebook. You do not have join FB to view them :-)

With an 8 hour delay at Sydney airport and a very late night upon arrival in Ho Chi Minh City, I eventually emerged from my bedroom on the third floor of my sisters French style villa about 9.30am on Day 1 (Sunday 18 July). The family were all up and my brother-in-law was cooking crepes and pancakes for us all for breakfast with lovely fresh tropical fruit. There is nothing better than fresh lychees and pineapple with maple syrup, yum! 


All eight of us piled into the new Toyota Fortuna (yes it does seat 8!) and headed off to go over the newly opened bridge that connects District 2 with District 7 of Ho Chi Minh City. Now, the bridge is finished, but the roads leading to and from it are still little more than rutted and potholed side roads. This is an ironic part of Vietnamese efficiency with the cart coming before the horse. You would think they would at least try to get the roads finished in time for the bridge opening!
After a bit of a tour around streets unknown, where we did the usual dodging of cars, bikes and scooters, we eventually found our way to the main CBD in District 1. For those of you who have not experienced traffic in South East Asia, it really is quite hair-raising until you get used to it. Then you realise that no-one will intentionally run into you, but I still flinch every time a taxi gets too close!
We parked in my brother-in-laws work building, where they searched under the vehicle for bombs with a mirror (I think it is because of all the trouble in Thailand). We then were treated to a wonderful view of HCMC from the 17th floor of the Sun Wah Tower. We looked out at the new 66 story building that is fast approaching completion, as well as the new tunnel under the river that is due to be ready in January 2011. It really is quite incredible the speed at which the new projects are completed.

We walked across the street to a wonderful restaurant called Dragon Hotpot (http://www.dragonhotpot.vn/) a Japanese Style Grill and Hotpot, where they cook the food on your table. I can say that I was in heaven with the multitude of flavours and textures we had. I highly recommend it to anyone visiting HCMC. During lunch it started raining, and I mean really raining - one of those tropical downpours that is very heavy but relatively short-lived. Luckily it had mostly abated by the time we were ready to go out and find the new Vinacom Shopping Mall. We debated getting a taxi but ended up walking, deciding the rain wasn't too bad by this stage. It certainly was different being in the rain but still being hot and sticky.
So out onto Nguyen Hue in front of Sun Wah tower, walking across the 6 lanes of mad traffic and down one of the many side streets filled with fascinating shops of all types, selling anything you can imagine. Crossing the road here is not for the faint of heart. You basically have to just step out into oncoming traffic and slowly navigate your way through the motorbikes and taxis. They will not purposely run you over, but you do need to watch and be clear of your intent to keep walking. Stop and its likely to be curtains.


The sites, sounds and smells are all so different from what I am used to in Australia. The rain washes the streets a bit cleaner than usual and here in District 1 the Government is making an effort to keep it clean for the tourists. It certainly is a vast improvement over what I remember on my first visit 14 years ago.
We walked past the Opera House where it appears Mama Mia is playing. I don't know if I will go and see it in Vietnamese!
The buildings are all so interesting, with such contrasts of new and old, clean and filthy, colourful and drab. This building above has all these flags hung by the residents in protest at the building being sold and them having to move elsewhere.
We finally got to the new Vinacom Shopping Mall, which is in a shiny new building. It covers 6 levels and is a marvel to behold. 3 of the levels are below ground and they even spread out under the park and street next door to pop up in another building. I went and had a look at some shirts, and they cost $1,200,000 Vietnamese Dong! This is equivalent to about $USD60 or $AUD70. Not much cheaper than home so I did not indulge. The irony is that it is just another mall that could literally be anywhere in the world. The shops are really upmarket and nothing is much cheaper than anywhere else in the world. What amazes me is just how much money there must be in Vietnam for there to be places like this.


Tomorrow is another day, and I will see what happens. Probably just a day at home with the family relaxing in the aircon!


N5ZY9PPXAN5R 

3 comments:

  1. good stuff Jamie..

    sites, smells.. watch the ladies ;-)

    Alan Chapman

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've got me all excited now Jamie. I will be there on the 14th and 15th August with my team, then we fly south to Rach Gia to build houses with Habitat for Humanity, then back to HCMC on 22nd and catch the Reunification Express from HCMC to Hanoi. I'm really looking forward to seeing all the changes.
    Rod Hyatt - Think_Next

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Alan - I will - LOL!
    Rod - I'm sorry we will miss each other! Have a great time :-)

    ReplyDelete