Tuesday 20 July 2010

Day 3 - Markets and of course lunch!

I have posted all of my photos in a Facebook Album and I would love you to view them by clicking here: Jamie on Facebook. You do not have join FB to view them :-)


So day three was an earlier start. We jumped in the car at about 9.30am and headed off to Sport Street (below) where all the shops sell sports gear. You basically just walk up and down trying to get a better price from each vendor. My sister got a new ripstick for my nephew Ben for his birthday tomorrow (hope he doesn't read this!) and my Dad spent a lot of time trying to find shuttlecocks with a weight of 52! Don't ask me?! Something to do with the speed...
After getting our sports supplies we jumped back into the car (which just so happens to come with a full time driver!) and headed down to the end of Le Loi (street name) to the Ben Thanh Markets. This is a must visit if you come to HCMC. An absolute rabbit warren of stalls divided up by lots of aisles, some big and wide with space for about 6 people, right down to narrow claustrophobic aisles with barely enough room to pass someone going in the other direction. As soon as I upload my video I will post it here so you can get a real sense of what it was like. Here are a few shots of the stalls...

Below you will see 76,000 VND, which is about $AUD4.50, so things are not as cheap as they were last time I came. You do of course barter with the stall owners and pay a lot less, but still not as little as you may think.


Each aisle has its own 'theme' I guess you could call it. The pickle aisle was particularly pungent and I felt a bit like Mr Bean when he goes through the department store trying to hold his breath in the perfume section! Of course I am NOTHING like Mr Bean - LOL!



Bec and Dad sample the roasted almonds, cashews and candied ginger. All were so good that we bought some of each. Bec said the almonds were surprisingly fresh and also cheap. She paid 280,000 VND for a kg. This is about $AUD16.50.


Dad looking dubious!


After the markets we headed off to my favourite cafe Au Parc which I frequented when I was here with my cousin Jess three years ago. Mum and Dad also have a penchant for Au Parc. The decor is Middle Eastern even though the food is French. I will take photos next time I visit and post them here. The menu is extensive and the food divine.

While we were dining the rain started coming down, and once again it was REALLY coming down. We waited out the downpour and then ventured next door to a very nice shoe store that sells, of all things, Birkenstocks. Mum nearly got a new pair but they 'weren't quite right'. The prices were really good. Mum said she would have expected to pay about $NZD180 but they were only VND1,390,000 (about $NZD100 and $AUD82). Bargain!!!

Full of food and quite content we headed home for a lovely afternoon catching up with my sisters friend, while the children played contentedly around the huge house. And Emily took me out onto her street to show me her skateboarding skills. She is doing really well and Uncle Jamie was very proud :-)


Now it is late morning on Day 4 and we are about to head back into town for a look at table tennis tables. I will stay in town by myself for a few hours and call the driver when I am ready to go home. I love just wandering around. Will update you if anything exciting happens later...

No comments:

Post a Comment